Herb and Garlic Focaccia Bread
- Cake mixer with dough attachment
- Wood Fired Oven
- Loaf tin or cooking pan
- 3 cups unbleached bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup tepid water Substitute water for beer, for more flavor
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp yeast
- 3 tbsp olive oil (2 tbsp for topping)
- 4 tbsp fresh herbs of your preference (2 tbsp for topping) We used Thyme and Rosemary
- 1 tbsp sea salt or coarse salt for topping
- Heat Wood Fired Oven to 180 degrees, then let the temperature fall.
- Add sugar and dry yeast into tepid water.
- Into the cake mixer add flour, salt and herbs, then mix.
- Make a small well in the middle of the flour mixture then pour in yeast mixture and oil.(If your dough is dry, slowly add more water until it comes together)
- Mix for 10 minutes or until the dough is soft (not sticky) to touch.
- Place into oiled cooking pan and cover with damp tea-towel. let the dough prove for 20 minutes in a warm place. (your hot water cupboard is a great place during colder seasons)
- Your dough should now be doubled in size. Using your finger tips, prod the dough to make deep dimples. cover again with your damp tea-towel and to leave to rest for another 15 minutes.
- Add your toppings then cook place in the middle of your oven at a falling temperature of 180deg for 25 minutes or until golden. Another way to ensure your bread is cooked is to knock on the bottom of the bread and listen for a hollow sound.Turn your Focaccia onto a wire rack to cool slightly, Then enjoy!