Garlic Naan Bread
This Garlic Naan is delicious, and cooking it in a Wood Fired Oven gives it amazing flavours.
Yield: 8 people
- Wood Fired Oven
- Mixer with dough attachment (you can hand knead if you don't have a mixer)
- Grill plate
- 3 ½ cups standard (all purpose) flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp dry active yeast
- ⅓ cup lukewarm milk
- 2 tbsp greek yogurt (or any plain yogurt)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp nigella seeds
- 3 tbsp semi melted butter (I prefer salted)
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- Preheat your Wood Fired Oven to max temperature.
- In your mixer bowl, add lukewarm water, yeast and sugar (let sit for 5-10 min).
- Once your yeast has activated, add in yogurt, oil and lukewarm milk.
- Add your flour and salt and turn mixer on until everything is combined. Then add crushed garlic
- If your mix is still very wet add a touch more flour. Don't over do it! This mix is normally quite sticky.
- Knead in your mixer on medium speed for 1-2 minutes or until dough is smooth and well combined.
- Place dough into an oiled bowl and cover with glad wrap and leave in a warm place for 1.5 hours, if is cold you can heat your oven ever so slightly and then turn the oven off and let the dough prove in there.
- After 1.5 hours your dough should have doubled in size, knock it back down and portion into 8 equal pieces. this dough is very sticky it's best if you oil your hands, and the surface you will be using to place the portions onto.
- I like to let these portions rest for about 15 minutes. So now is a good time to prepare your garlic butter.
- Sit grill pan in your oven to preheat for a few minutes, I placed close to the door and it still heated very well. You can also cook on the oven floor is you prefer.
- You can now roll out your Naan Breads, remember to oil your hands! I find it easiest to press the dough down with my fingertips then stretch out vertically using one hand to hold it in place.
- sprinkle with nigella seeds (optional) then place on a grill plate in the Wood Fired Oven. Cook for 3-4 minutes flipping frequently to ensure it doesn't burn.
- Brush over garlic butter when the Naan comes out of the oven, and enjoy!